WELCOME TO IRVINGTON
Irvington, Indiana was originally founded as a suburban town in 1870. The town formed along winding roads made of dirt and brick that spoke of the Romanesque design era. Originally, the town was a quiet haven for artists, politicians, academics, military generals and local industry lived. However, in 1902, Irvington was annexed and though it is a part of the city, the area still remains very much like a private neighborhood.
Located on the Western edge of Indianapolis, Irvington is five miles away from downtown Indianapolis on the edge of Warren Township. The neighborhood is located on the historic road US 40, and through the 1900's, a trolley ran from Irvington into Indianapolis. Today, the town is the largest historically preserved location in Indianapolis and has approximately 2,800 buildings and 1,600 parcels of land. Irvington was the home of the only artist movement in Central Indiana and was named for a specific place, the Irvington Group. During the 1900's the Irvington Group lived, worked and exhibited art in Irvington and today many of the houses and studios remain standing. The arts were and are still taught at the Irvington Lodge, Bona Thomas Memorial Library and the Studio School and Gallery.
The town is both historically and architecturally important to Indiana, because it contains fine examples of every type of American architecture style from 1870 through 1950. There are examples of Italianate, Victorian Gothic, Queen Anne, French Second Empire, and Colonial and Tudor Revival.
US 40, or as it is more commonly known, Washington Street, is home to several buildings and businesses of historical importance such as the old bank and the Irving Theater. The Benton House is a local landmark in Irvington, the home was built by Allen R. Benton in 1873. The Irvington Historic Landmarks Foundation was formed in 1966, and purchased the property and restored the home. In 1973, the home was placed on the National of Historic Places and is listed as a museum; the Benton House is the only landmark in Indiana open to the public. The Stephenson Mansion is a home in Indianapolis that has the most interesting history. The home was built for William H. H. Graham in 1895; in 1923, the home was purchased by D.C. Stephenson who remodeled the home to resemble a Civil War era plantation house. D.C. Stephenson was a well known affiliate of the Ku Klux Klan in Indiana. He has a long and checkered past and this in turn has brought more attention to the mansion. Today, the mansion remains shrouded in controversy and intrigue, with many visitors claiming the location to be haunted.
Irvington continues to remain a family friendly community. Every year there are festivals held during the spring, summer and autumn that invite guests to get to know about town of Irvington and its history. The town welcomes people with a warmth and friendliness that are well known to visitors to the Midwest.